Wednesday, January 23, 2008

They put their helmets on today.

"They put their helmets on today." That's what I told my friend while watching the Giants upset the Packers Sunday night. I was referring to how well the Giants were playing and how they came to Green Bay to win. I'm fairly confident that it will be the next great sports catch phrase. I think that within ten years it will be on par with "That's why they play the game" and "Any given Sunday".

What do you think? Oh, does anybody know John Madden? Al Michaels? Joe Buck? Anybody?

2 comments:

Paul Zander said...

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that helmets thing. It does have a nice sound and it could go places but I am definitely not going to start saying it. It's hard to get things going. I once invented a word for "an oral invitation to an event" instead of written (or guess now, evite) invitation. I can't remember what the word was sadly..... God speed.

Unknown said...

How about "The put their winning caps on today"? "They put their killing shoes on today". "They put their domination helmets on today". While I appreciate the elegance of the phrase, it needs a descriptor to make it to main stream media.