Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Too much time on my hands?

So I listen to a lot of NPR. I would say on a daily basis I average 2-3 hours. This is not including the time I spend listening to various podcasts as well. Today I took the step from passive listener to active listener by calling in to Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane!

I was laying in my bed listening to her introduce the topic of how Pennsylvania will soon outlaw the labeling of rbst free(growth hormone free) on milk. I work at a grocery store that sells rbst free milk so I was mildly interested. Then one of her guests, a one Dr. Terry Effner from Penn State, decreed that if consumers wanted rbst free milk they could purchase organic. I immediately shot up from bed and raced to my computer to find the number so I could call in to the show. The problem with Dr. Effner's statement is that there is a considerable price difference between rbst free milk and organic milk. I would estimate that a gallon on regular rbst free milk is about $2.50-3.00 cheaper than organic milk. For many families, milk is a staple item that is purchased on a weekly basis and so the costs can add up by purchasing organic milk. I thought this price difference should be shared with the world. To my surprise, I got through the screening process and found myself on the air.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give myself a 6.5 for my performance(?). I stammered a bit, used the wrong words a couple of times, said that Dr. Effner's statement was ridiculous, and hung up before the guests could ask me where I work. Still, it was exciting.

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

I don't understand why they would outlaw saying that on a milk carton?

Dorothy said...

Wait. Is this a dream?

Unknown said...

Way to rep the grocery lifestyle! But seriously, why are they outlawing that label?